> When you install Mandrake, you have the option of "use existing
> partitions", and then you can choose to only format the system
> partition, /.
>
> by leaving the /home partition intact, either Red Hat or Mandrake will
> have access to them. Of course, some of the config files and such may be
> out or sync, but you can just delete any that cause you probs.
>
> As always, it would be a good idea to backup your home dir to cdrom or
> something, just in case.

I have tried this myself. I can say it has some pitfalls to avoid:

1) Make sure you don't give your self the same username as on the old
system or you won't be able to log on.
2) All the files will be locked to the user on your old system.
3) You will need to know where to find all the hidden files that hold
things like filter rules and all you favourites for Mozilla etc if you plan
to chmod them and swop them across to your new user home directory.

I have tried copying all my home directory to a CD but for some reason it
either does not copy across the hidden files or they remain hidden on the
CD-ROM.

Somebody on here has explained about how to adjust the settings so you can
see hidden files IIRC. I wish I had kept a copy of that mail :-(

John

--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today

MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 92791912