I am trying to configure samba (from mandrake 8.2) to allow everyone to read a share but to allow only me to have write and delete premissions. I managed to successfully connect to the share from a windoze 2k machine using my samba user/password. The linux,it's a laptop, and win2k machines are on different domain/workgroups. I noticed that no conections ever show up in the all conections list nor in the one for the share as well. I would really like to know where to look to see a login/activity log. I'm attaching my .conf file as well. The win2k machine is on a microbully network with a win2k server running as a pdc and the laptop is on the workgroup that runs at home. I have never been able to do this type of configuration so i'm hopping it's just something simple. I use webadmin for my system maintenance.

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        printing = cups
        dns proxy = no
        security = share
        server string = dan's laptop
        workgroup = pokemon
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        netbios name = porygon
        load printers = yes
        public = yes
        os level = 1
        printcap name = lpstat
        default = download
        max log size = 50

[public]
        path = /home/local/samba-public
        writable = yes
        comment = Public space with read-write access
        public = yes

[download]
        path = /home/dan/download
        writable = yes