manolis wrote:

???? ??? 26 ???? 2003 02:35, ?/? Stephen Kuhn ??????:

Look - especially for a newbie, reinstallation ain't nothing more than a
lesson - doing repeated installations only makes you smarter about how
you're installing it, how you're making use of your disk space for
optimal performance, what packages and options you're choosing from the
beginning...I wish I could count how many times I've "reinstalled" any
distribution of linux - it's thousands, mate, thousands...

Meanwhile, a consideration to make is that you've corrupted the file
system by accident - and that's alright - but if you do an installation
again, you can choose a file system like ReiserFS that can generally
handle such "accidents" - use it for your / and your /home partition -
you might be surprised at the results.

After the problem I was not able to login in KDE, after many tries ...now I can . I think this is a progress.
One of the things I 'd loved about winXP is that I never reinstalled them. Even upgraded them from win2k ( I did many times recovery console though). I was pretty advanced in windows. As advanced can be one in a windowz environment. :)
I do not like to reinstall all the applications and drivers now...
I think it is a minor problem I could manage it .. in time... even though I am pretty newbie in linux world. One thing that admired from the first time in the world of linux is that anything can be done in such minor issues... or at WORST everything can be tried!!! :)
The only info I got from the above is the ReiserFS that I didn't know about it. Thank you for this.
Is there a place on the internet to read about ReiserFS?

http://www.namesys.com/

I'd tend to reckon that the system's corrupted, the /etc/passwd is
probably corrupted - best reinstall.

yes, but if there was a major problem in passwords handling there would be no pop up for root password in KDE eventually (some rare times it works!). The KDE is the only graphical GUI that gives me the error. The password handling is working fine in other GUIs. (IceWM , Gnome, WM).

I want to state one time again that I am linux NEWBIE, with the above I don't try to be smart... I know that there are many things that I don't know ... I just want to figure out things through argument...

Sorry for my english...
Thanks for your post.

-- Brant Fitzsimmons [EMAIL PROTECTED] ************************************************************************ "Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

                -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903)
                "Maxims for Revolutionists"