On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:56:32 +1000
Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 01:08:17 +0100, Len Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> > killall -9 metacity
> > No process killed (or something like that)
> >
> > The 'exec sawfish &' failed with "Cannot run two window managers" - no
> > surprise there.
>
> The recommended way to use another window manager in GNOME is to use the
> WINDOW_MANAGER shell variable. If you use bash, add the line
>
>   export WINDOW_MANAGER=sawfish
>
> to your ~/.bashrc file. Then run
>
>   source ~/.bashrc
>
> (or logout/login) to update your shell variables from the file.
I use tcsh, but same difference.  Tried setenv WINDOW_MANAGER sawfish in .login
and restarted.  Came up in sawfish as before.  xterm -> printenv WINDOW_MANAGER
came up blank.  Same rigmarole using the logout button after creating the panel
and no way of saving the session.
So, it looks like I am stuck with my Mandrake 8.2/Gnome 1.4 combination for the
duration.   Mandrake 9/Sawfish is unusable at present.

> > Another question: is there a sawfish configuration tool somewhere, like
> > under GNOME 1.4?
>
> Run sawfish-ui (it should be in /usr/bin/ or /usr/X11R6/bin/).
Thanks.  Found that in the latter.
--
Len Lawrence
Veni, Vidi, VISA: