On Thu, 07 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Hello.
>
>      I am going to build my own computer and I want Linux to be the OS. I
>      have a CD with Linux Mandrake 6.0, but a friend offered me his Red Hat
>      6.0. Could you please tell me why should I stay with Mandrake?

Mandrake is more "cutting-edge" than RedHat. It's got a newer X
server and newer KDE, and generally newer versions of the apps (and
MORE apps pre-installed) than RedHat. Unfortunately, you'll need to
immediately upgrade your kernel and initscripts if you install
Mandrake 6.0. There's a nasty bug that causes improper shutdown of
the hard drive in the default Mandrake install. No big deal, just go
get the new kernel and init scripts as soon as you install. :-)

>      I'll use my box mainly for gaming and
> rendering & raytracing, and I want a really good video card.
> What is the best option for Linux? I  was thinkin on some
> Voodoo card.

Voodoo is good, but you'll want to upgrade to the latest X server
from Mandrake 6.1. Just go download the RPM from 6.1 and install it.
:-) It's got drivers built-in for Voodoo. :-)
        John