I have one slight questions about sound editors

I have a general thing I need to do each week.
Cut one 2 hour wav file into peaces. then convert into mp3 and make
available in internet.

I have tried to use Audacity. It is a nice tool, but have its problems.
It likes to hang my system (x) sometimes very often, and it performing
very slow on my 400 PII computer.

Then I'v found a nice peace of soft named "sweep"
It is working very fast and has a very nice UI (that I like).
Sweep has another problem. It is able to work on smaller files and it
refuses to open my 2 hour long files.

the error sweep declares is

GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate 1175879680 bytes
aborting...
Aborted

So my question is that is there maybe a way I can work it over and still
use sweep.  (I have 5G of free space, so the space allocation is not
concerned my space actually)

I very much apprechiate any suggestions.

Kristjan