> > > to automate parameter usage during lt_drivers insertion. See
> > > documentation for details.

> > > Well it certainly appears as though the proper stuff is all there
> > > for the modem to be working - have you tried to do a:
> > >
> > > modprobe lt_serial
> > >
> > > ...to see what happens?
> > >
> > > So then you're going to make sure you have a link to /dev/modem
> > > created if it ain't already - easy enough - just type:
> > >
> > > ln -s /dev/lt_serial /dev/modem
> > >
> > > ...that should start you on yer way hometeam!
> >
> > modprobe lt_serial just says "bad command" and I also noticed there
> > is no directory or file at /dev/lt_serial .  Do I need to get
> > modprobe working? How?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> You must be root to use modprobe and the modutils rpm must be
> installed :)

I ran modprobe lt_serial as root and I got this:

Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/ltmodem/lt_modem.o will taint
the kernel: non-GPL license - UNKNOWN
  See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
modules

Then when I ran ln -s /dev/lt_serial /dev/modem it accepted the command but
Penggy still says:

Can't open device /dev/modem: No such file or directory (2)
Fatal error, exiting.

In the /dev directory, the word modem is boxed in red and flashing in
Konsole.

I really really appreciate Frans, John, and Stephen's help with this.  I am
leaving for Mexico for 12 days at 5PM PST this evening and if I don't have
the modem working I'll be semi-screwed as I need Internet access to keep my
business running.  So if you guys could "give me all you've got" I'd be
grateful.  I do feel like a jerk asking for free help in a hurry but I
really don't have any other choice right now.  Thanks a lot guys!

- Grant