Well! This is what I did -- not pretty!  I reinstalled 9.1.  I let the
installer select the defaut driver cs46xx. After installation, I selectively
installed alsa. Rebooted, cs46xx failed to load.  Went to harddrake and
selected driver cs4232. Rebooted, cs4243 loaded. Now there is a speaker on
the bottom right panel, wasn't there before.  Opened up kscd, put in an audio
cd, and it worked!

Who knows? Some times I feel that linux is a house of cards.

Thanks for everybody's help!
mike