From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, 3 August 2003 8:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] New subscriber with Linux woes

Hello. I am having some trouble with my Mandrake LInuxPPC
installation.

I got Mandrake LInux 8.2 to install on my 1st generation
Apple Beige G3
tower. It is a G3 333mhz with 384 mb ram, and 8 gb hard
drive. ATI 64 video.

Here is how everything went, and what the problem is:
I ran the program "bootX" from the first LInux boot cd.
Following the
instructions, everything went fine, and installation of
LInux started with no hicups.
I let Linux delete any Mac OS partitions and use the entire
drive for itself.
After installation, a window came up telling me that my
computer was an older
model and that Yaboot would not work. It said I had to boot
linux with BootX.

Now here is the problem: When I start up the computer, all I
get is the
flashing "no OS/disk" image, telling me that the computer
cant find its OS. I would
think it would boot right to Linux. Do I need to use this
previously
mentioned BootX to boot into Linux, or did I do something
wrong? If I need to use
bootx, how do I do it???

Thanks so very much for any help you can provide.

-Emmett Lodge (Major newbie!) [EMAIL PROTECTED]