Dennis Myers wrote:

On Sunday 03 August 2003 10:04 am, ed tharp wrote:

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 11:15, John Richard Smith wrote:

Mandrake 9.2 Beta 1 Released.
Mandrake Linux 9.2 Beta 1 has arrived to offer you the opportunity of
summertime bug squashing. Join forces with the Mandrake Development team
by installing the Beta then submitting bug reports. Remember: This
release is for testing purposes only and is not suitable for production
machines. Learn all the details:
http://www3.mandrakelinux.com/en/92beta.php3

So how does one in all practicle terms do this on a 56kdialup modem.

By the time I've downloaded 3 iso's , done the md5sum's, written the
iso's to disc, tested the discs to be faithful reproductions,  installed
OS, done a minimum of half a  day's  post install reconfiguring, to get
it up and running, and then probably a week's fiddling around in all the
apps looking for faults to report ,   mandrake have gone on to bets2 or
beta3 releases.

John

Tom Brinkman has posted some directions (I think it may have been on the
expert list) about how to do this. basically it involves getting setup
and updating only as cooker is updated, and not re-downloading the
complete ISOs, just sucking down the changes. Search the archives for
"cooker update" ought to help

Right, once you have the first beta d/l'd cooker updates work or you should be able to run "rsync" to cut down time to d/l new beta's or release candidates. Rsync only d/l's the changes. See "man rsync" or google cause there are some good tutorials on it. HTH

So which is best ,
slap in a repeat of my already configured and pretty well running M9.1
using a drive image programme.
write a stanza to boot it.
and then urpmi that as far as possible, which would have to be done at
night  as It's the only chance I have to get about 2 hours uniterrupted
install.

or ,

download the  3 iso cd's and burn to disks and install etc. and then
urpmi this install.

from my point of view the first option is quicker.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]