On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 02:57, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Thursday 14 Aug 2003 1:28 am, Dan Jones wrote:
> > For example, I have a web server.  I don't want my web pages to be
> > world writable.  However, I do want multiple people (say, a
> > development team) to be able to modify the files.  So I create a
> > group called www and add the users to that group.  I then assign
> > ownership of the html files to that group (and set group permissions
> > for those files to rwx.)
> >
> > However, when I log in I'm not a member of the www group (unless I
> > change my primary group to www.)  If I attempt to edit the html file,
> > I'll get permission denied when I try to save it.  However, if I open
> > a terminal, execute the command "newgrp www", my group is changed to
> > www. I can then edit the file in vi and save it.  However, I can't
> > edit the file in, say, amaya, because the newgrp command only affects
> > the shell it's executed in (ie, the terminal.)  My xwindows session
> > still sees me in my default group.
> >
> > Now, I could change my default group to www, but what if I'm a member
> > of several different development groups?  I don't want to have
> > different log-ins for each group, and have to log out and log back in
> > as a different user when I want to work on a different project.
> > However, unless there's a way to execute newgrp and have it affect
> > the parent process, I don't see a way around this.
> >
> > Am I missing something fundamental in my understanding of groups and
> > permissions?
>
> Only that your group is inherited by processes that you start. If you do
> newgrp www and then start a file manager or editor from that
> commandline they will be in group www.

I understand that.  That's why I pointed out that I could execute newgrp
in a terminal and edit the file via vi.  Of course, I could run any
other program from the command line as well, but doesn't that defeat
half the purpose of running a GUI in the first place?

> It would be useful to have the KDE panels able to switch groups, but I
> don't think they can.

It would be extremely useful.  It's hard to believe that this issue
hasn't been addressed and solved.