On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 19:20, Miark wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2003 17:15:18 -0400, Dan Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm installing POPFile, a Beysian filtering program for spam.  I've
> > created a startup script but run into a problem.  Whenever you execute
> > the perl script in the background, using "./popfile.pl &", it requires
> > an ENTER press before you get your command prompt back. What causes
> > this, and how do I fix it?
>

> Add the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
>
> cd /usr/local/bin/popfile; ./popfile.pl
>
> That will start POPFile automatically when you start your box. Oh, and
> change the path (/usr/local/bin/popfile) to wherever you installed
> POPFile.

Thanks, but I'm aware of that.  However, I'd prefer to create a script
in /etc/rc.d/init.d that allows me to start, stop and restart the
server.  (I'm hacking on the perl source and want to be able to restart
easily.)  Everything works fine except I have to hit ENTER before
getting my prompt back.  This also happens if I start the file in the
background directly on the command line.