On Wednesday 13 Aug 2003 1:39 pm, Michael Juntunen wrote:
> --- Richard Urwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 Aug 2003 7:41 am, Anarky wrote:
> > >     normally I use 'gnome-system-monitor' to kill
> >
> > apps, but now an X
> >
> > > app won't stop with that even. So I do "ps aux |
> >
> > grep app_name" and
> >
> > > then try "kill pid" ... but still nothing will
> >
> > happen. Any idea? last
> >
> > > time I fixed it via a reboot ... but I thought
> >
> > linux wasn't like that
> >
> > > ... greets
> >
> > xkill
> > or
> > kill -KILL pid
> >
> > Just "kill pid" is not hard enough, it just sends
> > the equivilant of a
> > Ctrl-C to the app. The KILL signal is not trappable,
> > it should kill
> > anything. xkill is easier if the app has a window
> > open; click on the
> > window and the app dies.
>
> I seem to remember (from my unix days many a year ago)
> that if you wanted kill to work reliably you had to
> attach the -7 flag to it.  I am not sure of the forma
> and I havent been able to get my linux box running yet
> to check the man pages on kill but try that.

-KILL is a synonym for -9. -7 emulates a BUS error which will almost
certainly terminate the program, but may produce a core dump. Core
dumps appear to be disabled on my base MDK9.1 install, so that wouldn't
be a problem.

$ kill -l
 1) SIGHUP       2) SIGINT       3) SIGQUIT      4) SIGILL
 5) SIGTRAP      6) SIGABRT      7) SIGBUS       8) SIGFPE
 9) SIGKILL     10) SIGUSR1     11) SIGSEGV     12) SIGUSR2
13) SIGPIPE     14) SIGALRM     15) SIGTERM     17) SIGCHLD
18) SIGCONT     19) SIGSTOP     20) SIGTSTP     21) SIGTTIN
22) SIGTTOU     23) SIGURG      24) SIGXCPU     25) SIGXFSZ
26) SIGVTALRM   27) SIGPROF     28) SIGWINCH    29) SIGIO
30) SIGPWR      31) SIGSYS ...

The three signals defined for user intervention for foreground apps are:
SIGINT (2) which is equivilent to Ctrl-C, but the program can ignore it,
SIGQUIT (3)  which is equivilent to Ctrl-\, which can still be ignored,
but if not it produces a core dump.

Processes other than the foreground app will usually be sent other
signals:
SIGTERM (15) is approximately equivilant to SIGINT
SIGKILL (9) will definately kill the app.
SIGHUP (1) is sent when the controlling terminal logs out, and normally
terminates the app. It can be ignored by using the "nohup" command.

Only SIGKILL and SIGSTOP cannot be ignored. So -KILL or -9 is usually
the best option. SIGSTOP appears to be what Ctrl-Z does in bash - not
what you want.

--
Richard Urwin