On Wednesday August 13 2003 06:27 am, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> MD9.1. Two queries:
>
> Is it possible to convert ext3 to Reiser FS in place?

     No

> If not and
> you had to convert by re-installing the system, would there be
> any way of transferring or copying an ext3 /home into the new
> Reiser system ?

    Copy your <user> directory from /home to a storage partition.
You do have one don't ya?  After re-installing the system on
ReiserFS, you can copy it back to /home, overwriting the <user> dir
the install created.  Any filesystem for the storage partition is
suitable, but if you copy it to a Windoze partition, tar it up
first to preserve permissions.

> Can you shrink partitions in place? I'm wondering about creating
> separate partitions for /boot and /var. Could you give me advice
> about appropriate sizes for those mount points?

     For /boot 20 mb is enough. Use 50 mb if you like to try a lot
of new kernels. Use ReiserFS for all other partitions, but use ext3
for /boot **.  For /var, do a 'du /var' to see how big it is now,
then allow for some room.  How much? I dunno. I've never made /var
a separate partition.  For most desktop users, /swap, /boot, /, and
/home are all that's needed for a flexible system.  There's no need
to shrink existing partitions. Just delete them when you do the
install, and make new partitions. You'll need to reformat anyhow to
change to ReiserFS.
 ** Why, I dunno, but Civileme suggested it when ReiserFS or XFS is
used for all other partitions. Civileme did extensive FS testing
while he was a Mandrake employee.