On Saturday 09 August 2003 12:07 pm, Eric Huff wrote:
> Any circuit designers here?
> I am looking into it a little mostly out of curiosity.
> At work i use Orcad Capture / Allegro, but that obviously isn't a home
> solution.
>
> I have done a bit of a search:
>
> xcircuit doesn't seem to be setup enough to design PCBs.
>
> The gschem that came with mandrake 9.1 doesn't work on my machine.  I
> might try harder to compile the much newer version, but i was having
> trouble with libraries, etc (it was late last night, so i can't even
> remember the prob).
> Or, i might just wait for the cooker version to be promoted to cooked.
>
> Eagle looks good if i am only going to do one page schematics and 2
> layer boards. (most home projects would qualify).  Also, it will work
> just fine for the wiring diagram of my house... :)
>
> There were some others that are just being worked on, so not really
> ready.
>

> Any one have a favorite?
>
> Thanks for any info,
> eric

Eric:
All of my CAD experience was in the area of mechanical design (lots and lots
of AutoCad and a tiny bit of ProE), so I don't have any insight into PCB and
other electrical circuit design tools. However, last winter I spent some time
doing research into the state of Linux CAD software. The best single source
that I've found is:
He shows several ECad packages -- including the two that you mention. He also
sponsors a mail list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to which I subscribe. You
might find something useful in the list archives at:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/cad-linux/
-- cmg