On Monday 18 August 2003 09:52 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:

> heh... Pointers are welcome on that front too.... its that or PINE.
>
> Lol, I will learn this stuff... I swear to god.
>
> Femmelar

Not sure if it is applicable or not, but I think I figured out why my messages
were not going out to the Mandrake list.  I was sending them out through smtp
to my local Postfix server and from there relaying through my ISP's mail
server.  Mandrake must have the UCE protections on their server turned on and
for some reason, it is rejecting mail from me, probably because my local
server is not pushing messages from a fully qualified domain with an MX.

I solved it by creating a second identity along with a second outgoing account
that sends mail direclty to my ISP's mail server.  I associated the second
outgoing account with the second identity and made it the default for the
mailing list.  Now my mail goes through.

If you are using a local mail server and none of your mail goes out, it is
possible that your ISP has turned off Port 25 on your network and won't allow
you to originate mail from your connection.  Earthlink does this.  I have to
relay mail through the ISP (smarthost) or else it does not get delivered.

BTW, if my failures to mail to the list are due to UCE controls, Mandrake has
it configured poorly.  They should be sending bounces back to me but instead
are simply dropping the messages.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer