> > You need to concatenate text exported from "fortune" into a static text
> > file to be used by your mailer agent.
> >

> HUH???

Grasshopper:

$ export foo=$fortune}

# puts a 'fortune' into a variable foo. in case we want it later

echo $foo >fortune_file

What he meant is that you should take output of 'fortune' and paste it
info a file whose name doesn't change (a "static" text file). Each time
you send a mail, the agent will refer to this file, and every time you
run the script, you replace the old contents of this fortune file with a
new fortune.

You probably don't need to actually use a shell variable -- that was
only an illustrative point wherein it is shown that it's *possible* to
store the output of a program into a variable. Good luck trying that in
DOS. :)