Have you tried using F10 during boot to access the bios? Later Compaqs use
that rather than the "configuration" floppy.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of HaywireMac
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 6:02 AM
To: Mandrake Newbs
Subject: [newbie] Compaq is just plain weird

I thought I would create a seperate P2P server using that infamous old
Compaq POS I got for free, so I installed MLDonkey, and set it running.

1. The Compaq will not respond to ssh or vnc unless I hit the "any" key.

2. Even MLDonkey seems to stop running or downloading unless I hit the
"any" key.

What is up with this crap?

I have looked in MCC for a way to tell it to stop this behaviour, but I
see nothing that looks promising. I am thinking that I need to get into
the BIOS to change a setting, but someone on here a while back mentioned
I need a special boot floppy to do that. I have searched the Compaq
site, but am not having much luck.

The machine is a Compaq Deskpro P233.

Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction?

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046

---