On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:12:07AM +0300, robin wrote:
> julie wrote:
>
> >I dual boot Win 98SE and ran a defrag on the Windows partition. In doing
> >so, I screwed up my Mandrake 9.0 super block, at least that was what the
> >error reported. All attempts at repairing the super block (by using other
> >locations) failed. Maybe it really was the partition tables.
> >
> >My question is, did the defragmentation of Windows cause this? If so, is
> >there a way to defrag Windows and not mess up Mandrake?
> >
> I don't think it's possible for defragging a Windows partition to affect
> your Linux partition in  any way.  The only time I've managed to screw
> up Linux from Windows was with Norton.

I think it's possible for defragging Windoze to muck up Linux--I had the
same thing Julie reported happen to me on a dual boot machine. Defragged
Windoze, I could never boot into linux again, and I couldn't fix it from
rescue mode, not using Partition Magic.

I've now got a dual boot with XP, and I've decided I'll never defrag the
XP.

Todd