On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:52:30 -0400
Lee Wiggers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Now I figure that if I get a mail server up on aeis.tv reliably, I
> have done everything  I'm paying the host for now, right?
>
> And if I can learn enough to keep it up, I get a gold star,
> hopefully before the guys in the white coats come for me.
>
> I'm going to /etc/postfix/main.cf right now and see what trouble
> lurks therein.

Setting up Postfix is easy as falling off a chair if all you want to do
is send and receive mail on your LAN, however, there are some important
points to consider.

1. In /etc/main.cf, make sure you still use your ISP's smtp as a relay
agent, or else you will end up blacklisted. RBL's are very quick to do
this when they see traffic coming from IP blocks that belong to ISP's,
ie. "consumer" IP ranges, even static ones.

2. Make sure that in main.cf, it will relay mail *only* from your LAN,
or else you become an open relay for spammers, and you *do not* want to
do that.

Receiving mail should be no prob, as long as your ISP is not blocking
port 25, and No-IP (which I use, BTW) keeps your IP updated. I got it
working in minutes with another domain (orderinchaos) but for some weird
reason No-IP wants $ to keep that updated soooooo...

Make sure, of course, that port 25 is forwarded to your Postfix box on
the router.

Then, install the Imap package on the Postfix server so that each client
on yer LAN can "POP" the server for mai. This package is, IIRC, on the
MDK CD's.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046