Hi John,

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:20:26AM +0000, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Todd Slater wrote:
>
> >The last script I sent was garbage. This is much cleaner and more
> >efficient.
> >
> >As it currently stands, calling the script with "-n yourname" names
> >pictures "yourname-001.jpg, yourname-002.jpg" etc.
> >
> >Calling it with "-d" names pictures "YYYY-MM-DD-001.jpg" etc.
> >
> >Calling it with "-n yourname -d" names pictures "yournameYYMMDD-001.jpg"
> >etc.
> >
> >(When naming pictures by date, I like to have year as YYYY, but I can
> >see how you wouldn't want that if tacking it on to some other text
> >description.)
> >
> >Todd
> >

> Thanks Todd,
>
> In Europe we numerise dates in the fashion DDMMYY, or DDMMYYYY, but for
> obvious reasons we prefer to keep it short in this case. So todays date
> is 010903
>
> Can I switch things around in your script ?

You sure can. Look for the lines where the pictures are renamed (they
start with "mv $image . . ." and just change the order of date variables
to $day$month$year.

Normally in the US we would write MMDDYYYY. I prefer YYYYMMDD for easily
finding and listing pictures on the computer, but of course you have the
choice of format.

Todd