I recently installed Mandrake 9.1, and everything went fine, though I was given a message:
hold down command option O F at reboot and enter:
setenv boot-device hd:2,\\:tbxi
Then Type: shut-down

Which I did, yet when the ibook starts up, I get a flashing folder with the ?. I tried also to reset the PRAM, but that also did not work. I searched the archives and saw the exact same thing happened to someone else with the same model iBook, but the problem was not resolved. Also, I told the installer to erase the entire hard drive. I am using only Mandrake on the iBook, so the partitions were set to the defaults of the installer. I had previously attempted to install Gentoo, so those partitions were still setup, but I had hoped the mandrake installer would re-partition and reformat the hard drive.

Model: iBook first edition, 300Mhz, original 3GB hard drive.

Jeremy Bell WolverineSoft Project Coordinator www.umich.edu/~wsoft

WolverineSoft is a student game development community at the University of Michigan.