From: Dennis Myers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 11:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] enemy territory

wrote:
> > Björn Olsson wrote:
> > >I have spent *far* too much time on Enemy
Territory myself. It's
> > >based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein so in a way
it is a comercial
> > >game, though it is given away for free. You can
find more information
> > >at http://www.3dgamers.com/games/wolfensteinet/
> >
>http://www.splashdamage.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=7
> > > http://www.enemy-territory.com/
> >
> >     I can't figure out this game though ... is it
comercial, is it
> >     free?
> > .. seems at one point there is only windows
version ... and the
> > general impression that it's maybe an addon for
something like 'return
> > to castel wolfenstein' and you can't play it
unless you've got the
> > game. Please clarify ... promissingly enough I see
a big download ...
> > is this really somethign that you can download,
install & play and
> > don't need anything else? Or is it just a demo?
>
> ET was obviously planned as an expansion pack for
Return to Castle
> Wolfenstein, but for some reason Id Software changed
their minds and
> decided to make it a stand alone game and give it
away for free. You
> won't have to spend a single leu (apart from the
cost for downloading).

> There is a Linux version as well as a Windows one.
On this page you'll

http://www.splashdamage.com/download.php?op=viewsdownload&sid=2
> The file you download contains a client as well as a
game server, so if
> you want to, you'll be able to host your own games
with up to 50
> participants.
>
> The original game contains six maps, but custom maps
have begun to pop
http://www.pcgamemods.com/4/

> If you are behind a firewall you'll have to open udp
ports 27950, 27951,
> 27952, 27960, and 27965.
>

> Good luck, and see you in 1944
> Björn
As single user mode do you have to have those ports
open? All I get is a black
screen when I type "et" in a console. Yes I am behind
a firewall, so is that
the reason I get a black screen? A little help here,
thanks,
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842

p here, thanks,