On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 17:31:54 +0300
Anarky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

>     I (of course?) am quite excited about Mandrake ... told somebody
> about it .. and that person gave me this stuff ... I was wondering
> what people think about it:

I once made the same bitchy comments about Mandrake and dependencies.

The reply I got was:

"A poor craftsman blames his tools."

and you know what? He was right.

urpmi has worked flawlessly for me for a couple 'o years now, no shit.
So if he's havin' probs, I can only put it down to 2 things:

1. User error

2. An accident/glitch

Neither of which is a valid slight against Mandrake.

Is the RPM model getting dated? Sure. But it works, and it works well
for the average user.

What most people forget is that the *whole fscking reason* there are
different distro's is that different people have different needs. Those
doing heavy development might want Debian or Gentoo to get around the
GLibC barrier, but that can be done on Mandrake too, maybe not as
easily, I don't know. Tom would prolly say "no problemo".

This debate has been raging on and off for years, Debian is falling
behind IMHO, due to Gentoo, so they're getting a bit uppity, but it's
nothing to spend any serious mental effort on. Whatever works for you,
great. The best thing I can say about Debian is their *absolute*
commitment to Free Software, whereas Mandrake obviously is following a
more mixed path in that respect.

I have to say though, I see Debian people *all the time* on various
mailing lists complaining of build issues. I very rarely see that from
Mandrake users, and when I do, the sol'n is simple:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046