On Thursday September 4 2003 07:47 am, Tony S. Sykes wrote:

> Hi,
> just wondering: since I'm using Evolution now, I don't see any
> need to have Kmail sitting there taking up space; could someone
> point me to some beginner's instructions on how to go about
> deleting it?
> [and other apps that I don't think I'll be needing...]

    Unless you're using 9.2, you can't uninstall kmail. It's part of
kdenetwork.  In the coming 9.2 it's split out to kdenetwork-kmail,
and you could uninstall that rpm with 'urpme' or 'rpm -e'.  About
the closest you could come to uninstalling kmail, is to do a
'locate -i kmail', and go around deleting all the files and
directories that command returns. That's probly more trouble than
it's worth, and could lead to disastrous results.

    For other apps, first check if they have their own rpm with
'rpm -qa | grep -i <app>'.  If the app is in a separate rpm, then
'urpme <rpm_name>' is the easiest and safest way to uninstall. Where
rpm_name is somethin like 'urpme kdenetwork-kmail' (ie, just the
name, no version numbers).

    Hint:  rather than havt'a type out that rpm find command each
time, put this in the end of /etc/bashrc.
        alias frpm='rpm -qa | grep -i'   (_with_ the quotes)
   Then when you start a new terminal, just typing 'frpm <app>' will
do all the extra typing for you ;)

     If you don't wanna do any of that, I believe rpmdrake will
uninstall apps for you in a GUI, but I don't use it ;)