On Saturday 06 Sep 2003 3:03 pm, Jason Greenwood wrote:
> Ok all, I have decided to ditch the wires and go wireless for my ADSL
> Modem/router/Accesspoint and NIC at home. What is the guts of it??
> Nowadays adsl modems and nic's almost always work with Linux (my Nokia
> Modem/Router and Generic NIC work great under 9.1/Cooker). What are the
> pitfalls to watch out for to go wireless? What websites for wirelss
> under Linux do you recommend? Any brands known to work, not work with
> Linux?? Right now on TradeMe.co.nz there seems to be a good deal on the
> item listed below (thoughts?):
>
> Benq AWL-700 wireless router 802.11b
> in perfect condition, as new still in box with manuals and cd WITH benq
> 11Mbps wireless lan pc card(AWL100) both work together great.
>
> I can get these now for NZ$230
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason Greenwood

There is a list of wireless cards and their drivers here
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html

I know from experience that Mandrake works with anything
Orinoco based works 'out of the box'.

The Benq AWL100 uses the Prism 2.5 chip set which uses the wlan-ng driver
which I know was not included in Mandrake 9.0 but I was able to get it
working by compiling it.

I do not know about Mandrake 9.1

HTH

derek