I really hate having to go over this subject again and again and again,
but there has to be some understanding and education for those that
really don't understand the nature of writing a virus/trojan/script.

As of the past few weeks, we've all see SoBig and Blaster bouncing
around - ok - so that's not news; however, the understanding must be
solid in as much as the bugs MIGHT get relayed to Windows machines from
unix/linux machines, but the unix/linux machines are in no way affected;
the spread is mostly through email - or relaying through an email
server; the bugs cannot be propogated in unix/linux as there is no means
by which they can operate.

It is inherently COMPLEX to write a trojan/script/virus for unix/linux
or MacOS 10 - and no matter how wide-spread the usage of unix/linux or
MacOS 10, the intricacies and level of skill and understanding are in
themselves prohibitive; the people that are capable of even doing so are
being paid large sums of money to do real work and they would barely
have the time to dedicate to such a task - and a task it would be.

Just due to the absolute nature of the unix/linux/bsd/Mac OS/X operating
system(s) it's hard to even create something based solely on social
engineering as programs/scripts cannot be run in the same manner as on a
Windows based OS.

So, in essence, no matter how wide spread linux gets, it's going to be a
tad bit more than plain out and out difficult to create the same type of
annoyances that are currently plaguing the Windows-world - and if you
don't believe what I'm stating here in plain English, please by all
means, read up on the subject - visit all the hack sites, dig into the
complexities of writing nasties for linux - then you'll come to
understand what I'm spewing here.

/rant