On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:33:01 +0000
"d2ci1fj g1nf24" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my video card driver. I'm using a ATI Radeon
> 9800 video card. I installed Mandrake 9.1 and set the video
> configuration for, video card- vesa, monitor- 1280*1024 @ 60hz,
> display- 1024*768 @70hz 24b. I then tested the configuration and it
> worked fine. I use the vesa driver because it's the only driver that
> will work with my card that is on the list of drivers. There are a few
> problems when I use vesa. When I try to logout, shutdown, or restart
> the computer goes blank when it is trying to shut down startX. I have
> to reboot manually, recheck the file system at startup and fix the
> file system. I installed the ATI 9800 drivers two times and I could
> not log into the desktop. I installed the drivers correctly and ran
> the driver config file. Does anyone know what the problem is?

When using the vesa driver:
 boot with vga=normal or edit your lilo.conf and set vga=normal
 Do not use dm
 Boot to init 3 and use Xtart to launch your wm (this will correct
your log-out problem)

I am running cooker and use the fglrx driver with a Radeon 9600 without
problem.
If you use the fglrx driver you need to get either
fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm from ATI or glx1_linux_X4.3.zip from
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/body_download_ati.html
Both are the same rpm but the zip file also contains the check.sh a
file.list and a README.

I have attached a walk-through for running fglrxconfig that I had done
for another, this should assist you in its proper set-up.

    Charles

--
1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
the law!