On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 21:48, C Tresenriter wrote:
> At 07:31 PM 9/14/03 +1000, y'all wrote:
>
>  > I've only given the 24 hour books a brief look.
>
>  >Don't forget "The Rute Users Guide"
>
>  >You should learn about "inodes". That's really important.
>  >rm -rf /mnt/win_c/*.*
>
>               Don't try this at home kids!
>
> Aaron,Carroll, Haymac Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the tips -
> I've already found that some of the commands in the Unix book don't work
> which led me to ask the question.
> I'm guessing no one has actually used it extensively??
> I'll read the portion on inodes at least.
>
> What are the major differences between the two?

Ok...I'll get on a serious note here, mate. One of the first - VERY
FIRST things that anyone and everyone should read up on and get to know
is system administration. Basic administration tasks. FROM A CONSOLE.
Not from some silly candy-apple GUI. Get to know the guts. System
performance tuning, device drivers, modules, kernel tuning. After all
that jazz, then move on to the XWindows world...

Not a joke - being serious here.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
"You're just the sort of person I imagined marrying, when I was
little... except, y'know, not green... and without all the patches of
fungus." -- Swamp Thing