On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:39:11 +0100
"Kitchener, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> I Don't know if this is possible in software, but I am looking for a
> system by which I can boot from scratch a remote linux/unix box as if
> I was sitting at the real console attached to the remote box. I
> suspect that this would have to be done in hardware but I am not
> totally convinced. I need to be able to see the complete boot up
> sequence not just, log in, issue shutdown-r now and wait and hope that
> it reboots....Does anyone know of a solution ?

I think all you would need to do is boot from a network disk, ie. the
computer you are sitting at would derive it's OS from a remote source,
the whole "thin client" idea (Google time!).

I do not believe you could "have your cake and eat it too", though,
unless you ran an OS within an OS, with something like VMWare.

In order to "connect" to a remote machine from an already running OS,
the remote machine would have to already be running, ie. booted.

The only sol'n that I think would come anywhere near what you are
discussing is using the hardware feature "wake on LAN" that comes with
many newer NIC's, but again, you would only be able to connect *after*
the remote host had already booted (unless you use something like VMWare
to boot a "virtual" OS from the remote host's disk).

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046