John Richard Smith wrote:
Dale Huckeby wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Lee Wiggers wrote:

Need recommendations for a cheap inkjet that is:

9.1 friendly
refillable

Epson is very Linux friendly. They support Linux probably better than
any other printer. I've got a Stylus C82 that I'm very happy with. In
product reviews a few people complained about the noise the paperfeed makes, and it is definite but not bothersome in my opinion. What I noticed is
that it works. It's very definite and precise in feeding and positioning
the sheets, and mine has never jammed (in five or six months). I think
you'll find that the C82 (or probably any Epson; this is my second one)
will work very well with 9.1. That's what I'm running. Mandrake will know
what it is and configure it for you, although you can specify quality settings at various levels of detail and expertise (in printerdrake in mcc) if you wish. Mine cost about $100. Its quality is pretty impressive.
I scanned (on an Epson scanner!) and printed one of my niece's wedding
photos, and it was practically indistinguishable from the real thing.

HTH,
Dale Huckeby

Thank you Dale for your detailed experiences, these are the kind of personal experiences we all like to hear about.
I'm not in the market today for a new printer , but may well think about it in the not too distant future, if I did want one today, I'm coming round to the Idea of trying out an Epson myself, well, I've had a good experience with their Epson perfection 2450 scanner, and with testermonials like yours one is encouraged. You don't mention print speeds ?

John

I have one and am very happy with it. Here's a link to it's page on epson.com.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=22708391&modeloid=14417&infoType=Downloads

I have the printer connected to my Mandrake box and have Samba set up to share the network printer on the network. When I print from my Win 2000 box (using the Win 2000 drivers-you have to install them in order to print to the Mandrake hosted printer) I get really fast print speeds. When I print from a program on the Mandrake box (Mozilla, The GIMP, etc.) I don't get the same speeds. The speed is acceptable, but it really flies when you initiate a print job from the Win 2000 machine.

Anyone having the same experience?

-- Brant Fitzsimmons [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------------------------------------------- Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/ AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake Linux 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk Reiserfs and XFS | KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client Uptime: 13:20:00 up 13 days, 35 min, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.43, 0.48 ------------------------------------------------------------------- "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)