On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 8:04 am, Thomas Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:00:33 -0400
> HaywireMac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "...
> > First of all, the companies that constitute the Trusted Computing
> > Group include many of the heavyweights of the personal computer
> > industry -- Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Nokia and Intel,
> > among others -- all of which are interested in protecting their
> > interests, not yours. Most important, they propose to do this by
> > advocating legislation that would require every computer sold to
> > have a Trusted Platform Module."
> Of course you realize what this really means? Should this get
> implemented, everyone here in the US will start going over the border
> to get their computers and/or only run Linux on it. <grin>

Even more worrying is that it would effectively outlaw Linux. There is
no way to ensure a Linux system runs the platform or runs it securely.
I don't see that bothering the TCG much.

I haven't read the spec., but I would expect that any TCmodule could be
remotely detected by those it is supposed to work with, ie govenment
and big corporations. If they scan you and you aren't running it you
can expect a visit from the police.

> I apologize to all of those who are not in the US for this, but I
> wouldn't doubt but what if this does happen here that sooner or later
> it will start happening elsewhere. Be aware!

If it does happen in the USA they will try to make damn sure it happens
elsewhere. Nobody is going to buy computers off them if they don't have
to. Enter trade sanctions etc. etc., all with a high moral stance that
politicians will love.

--
Richard Urwin
"All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."