Lance Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DJ> You have masses of space for your Linux partitions. It does

> I do have masses of space (I didn't even mention the scsi
> subsystem<g>), but a lot of it is currently spoken for.  If I
> understand the install docs correctly, the Mandrake installer will
> only suggest partition sizes if I let it take over the whole
> drive.  Is that correct?  If so, I'll need to define my partition
> sizes myself,'cause I can't just let 'er rip and overwrite.

At the beginning of the install, you will have a choice of where to
install Linux:  You'll want to "Use free space on the Windows
partition" or something like that.  The installer will repartition
to split off some of the windows partition.

You'll need to defrag 1st, and maybe kill your swap file while
defragging.  Sometimes the swap file is at the end, and the
defragger won't move it.  Put the swap file backand reboot before
doing the Mandrake install.  You will want to leave some extra space
for windows, so don't take the entire thing for linux.

I did this on XP with no problems, but you'll really want to do a
backup first just in case.

If you are paranoid, you could get another hard drive and install
linux there. 20GB should be plenty. I am happily using 10GB right
now, but i may not download as much as others...

eric

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org