Hello Merlin,

Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 6:33:44 AM, you wrote:

MZ> my inbox had 82 messages in it, and only 4 of them were not spam
MZ> and/or viruses.

Spamassassin can place the score either in the headers or as text in
the body. You might use this in your email client to filter the spam
to a 'spam' folder, to get it out of your inbox. I use two folders,
based on the score, with marginal spam and very likely spam. I look at
the marginal ones and DO occasionally find a false positive (good
email) there (usually from those who use fancy HTML in email).

This 'marginal' folder is becoming more and more necessary as spammers
try to avoid spam filters. It is getting harder and harder to filter
out spam.

MZ> When I was using Outlook on WIN2K, I had Mailwasher going, which I liked
MZ> because I liked the idea of bounce messages going to the sender of any
MZ> messages I marked as spam. Not that I think the spammers take a blind
MZ> bit of notice...

I wouldn't do this. It only wastes bandwidth. If you go through the
headers to find the true origin, and send a complaint to the ISP, it
might be worthwhile, but it's a lot of work (particularly since many
spammers try to hide).

MZ> Is there something I can use to look at the headers and
MZ> delete/bounce them before I get them from my POP server?

One of the reasons Spamassassin is so good is that it looks at the
body in detail. I'm not sure you could get good filtering on just the
headers.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]