On Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 10:02 am, Johan wrote:
> Hi,
> MDK 9.1
> 1) Have done updating via MCC
> 2) Urpmi - sites from EASY urpmi
> 3) Downloaded the lot from site including /base/hdlist.cz - written to CD.
> This saved me a lot of grief - drive crashed and had reinstall - update now
> easy to that point.
>
> What I would like to know is how can it be known which sites change with
> new stuff and which stay constant.
> I would gues that the sites with regular updates will probably the best to
> use?
>
> Any ideas which can be regarded as the top 5 on a update/download list?
>
> Input here would be much appreciated.
> Enjoy
> Johan
>
> May this be a good day for learning

The 'main' and 'contrib' folders will not change on *any* of the mirrors.
The only folders subject to change are 'updates'. 'plf, and 'texstar'

With Texstar there are only 2 mirrors and the Turkish one is diabolical.
With plf there are only a few mirrors. Most are pretty poor. I find the best
is 'club-internet'
With 'updates' all the mirrors will be synced together within a few hours of
each other. So the choice comes down to performance. Some are a *lot* better
than others. Do not be misled into thinking the closest is the best.

Some mirrors are heavily loaded and will start requiring logins during peak
periods which will lock you out.
Others become heavily loaded and suffer very poor performance.
The easy way to check is to just put the ftp address of a mirror in a browser
and see how responsive it is navigating up and down the directory tree and
downloading a sample RPM.

After trying lots of mirrors my personal favourite is rediris.es in Spain (and
no I am not Spanish) Of course if everyone starts using it, then it will
become congested, so just forget I mentioned it.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net