On 24 Sep 2003 20:00:52 +0700, Merlin Zener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Sorry, I don't know where to go next from here...
> I got slocate installed ok but not anacron:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]# urpmi anacron
> no package named anacron

You should be able to install it. Do you have a 'main' software source
defined? Perhaps the CDs you installed from?

> Interestingly, I thought I'd have a look at cron itself to see what
> it's[not] been doing. but even though locate cron brings pages of
> results, cron itself doesn't seem to want to run:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]# cron
> bash: cron: command not found

I think it's called 'crond', because it's a system daemon and not meant
to be run directly.

> Could you perhaps point me to some reading material that explains
> cron/anacron installation and use?

http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/cron/ looks ok.

Generally, the Linux System Administrators' Guide is good,
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~viu/linux/sag/sag-0.6.2.html/index.html

the Rute User's Tutorial is heavy going,
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

O'Reilly books are good, man pages fairly indigestible.
If you see a book about Red Hat instead of Mandrake, or from a few
versions ago, most of the command line stuff hasn't changed. Just don't
bother reading about KDE 1.x, or whatever.

Richard
--
"Get up and turn I loose"