Thanks very much for the helpful links with instructions on how to set up a
Palm USB Mandrake sync, but I'm still unable to do it.  Here is the error
message I get when I press the hotsync button first and follow all the
other directions:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]# pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -b visorbackup

   ERROR: No such device (19)

   Press the HotSync button first and relaunch this conduit..

   Unable to bind to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
   Please use --help for more information

   =-=-=

[EMAIL PROTECTED] random]# lsmod
visor                  10440   0  (unused)
usbserial              21468   0  [visor]
usb-uhci               24652   0  (unused)
usbcore                72992   1  [visor usbserial usb-uhci]

=-=
I doubt that visor & usb-uhc1 should be unused.  I've spent over 10 hours
trying to get this to work, scouring google, and I've come to the
conclusion that something's good and broken.  The palm is set to use USB
for sync, every instruction has been followed and refollowed.  I'm out of
ideas.

Thanks for any help,
Max