1. what OS are you using on home and office PC? Sometimes ago I had problems formatting a vfat partition from Linux: it was not recognized from DOS. I had to reformat it from DOS. Could it be that the linux-formatted vfat partition was not visible from the office PC bacause you accessed it from a windows PC?

2. sorry, don't know about mc. bash, bash, bash!

raffaele