September 26, 2003 03:21 am, Lance Cummings wrote:
> I have two problems with the taskbar in KDE 3.1.
>
> 1) some applications open with the titlebar under the taskbar when
> the taskbar is at the top of the screen

You can hold the Alt button and the left mouse click (hold both at the same
time) and drag a display window around the screen without having to "hook"
the title bar.

There's also a setting accessible from the panel configuration menu (right
click the location area or right click the menu button, select Configure
Panel) that will allow other windows to cover the task bar, plus a cursor
positional awareness setting to have the task bar reappear when the mouse is
moved to a chosen position. As in bottom left, top left, bottom right etc.,
depending where you decide to park your task bar. These settings are under
the "Hiding" tab.

The only time I recall seeing anything such as this was on an install where
icon zooming was selected. The icon and the text both zoomed and there was no
space available for the increased size. I could be incorrect though, it's
been a while.

> This also is a bug in XP, at least on my machine.  I keep my taskbar
> at the top of the screen, a la Mac style.  For me, the extension of
> the fingers to move the cursor up is a much easier movement on the
> hand and wrist than the contraction to go down-left.  What has
> become the "normal" "start button" location is about the
> ergonomically worst possible position for me.  But there ya go, and
> some apps open with titlebars under the taskbar.  I doubt this
> happens with the taskbar at the bottom -- it doesn't in Windows
> either.
>
> 2) the identifying text on taskbar buttons fades out on the right
> side of the button

In the same panel configuration dialogue there are choices to set that will
allow you to have icons only with "tooltips" to identify the icons. That may
help. If I recall correctly the Texstar KDE packages were also better in this
and other ways as well.

I still think font settings will help though, as well as adjusting the icon
size if you haven't already.

The best font packages for most people's installations seem to be those
available from PLF. You can install packages from there using the Software
manager by adding it to the source repositories. Easiest way is to follow the
Easy URPMI link at:

http://plf.zarb.org

which will take you here:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

> Can't believe this is by design, but it must be.  Doesn't matter the
> app, the text is fine for the left-most 85 percent or so of the
> button, then fades fast.  Ugly as sin IMHO.  Where the title of the
> application is short (does not fill the button), there is no
> problem.  But if the title extends to the right side of the button,
> the text fades out.

I think the design is to set defaults that work for an "average" environment
and leave available settings to customize whatever you like. In fact I'm sure
of it.

> Lance

For the fade out have you tried choosing different fonts in the KDE Control
Panel? Are you using anti-aliasing? It may just be a font setting. This falls
under the heading of "works for me" but I'm running cooker and quite a lot
has changed in 9.2 vs 9.1. Including almost all of KDE.

If font settings don't help yell, someone will see and try to help figure it
out.

HTH
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
10:21:55 up 5 days, 23:41, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.09
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call
what he writes fiction.
                -- William Faulkner