Hi Charlie,

This was actually my third attempt at trying to change the cursors. This computer is totally Linux now and I donot miss Win at all. However, even though I love Linux, I really didn't care for the black cursor. I found the flat white ones (ya, the ones from Win) on kdelook.org and followed the install instructions (extract the zip, then navigated to the source folder and typed make install).

With Yankl's post:

As root extract the cursor files in directory to /usr/share/icons/cursor_them_name. Edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.
Add following:
[Icon Theme]
Inherits=cursor_them_name

(Thanks Yankl)

I now have global white cursors (even in the login screen - cooooool).

As an added benefit here, I like using both, Konquere and Mozilla (Mozilla seems to do better on some pages) but I didn't like the little hand that mozilla used when passing over a link. Now it uses the same hand as Konquerer (I know, trivial, but hey - eye candy :-)

Charlie M. wrote:

Bit of background would probably be helpful but I'll take a swing at it. How did you change your cursors? I installed cursor_themes as soon as Buchan Milne announced it on the cooker list and have been using it since.

Close everything you have open in any of the virtual desktops. In a terminal as super user type choose_cursor <enter> pick the global cursor setting you want accept the offer to restart the X-server and just to be certain, log out and log back in. All users (including root) should now have the same cursor.

To set the cursors to be the same for all users may not be a good idea. If you have multiple users on the system some may not want to use the animated penguin as a cursor, or a flaming red one or.... <g> Hey, it's your system.

Best of luck;
Charlie