Kelly McCormick wrote:
Hello everyone,

Is there anybody out there with some experience with this card under ML9.1? At a minimum, I would like to get the 3D acceleration and the TV tuner functions working. It is my understanding that the ATI drivers will provide GL acceleration but will do nothing for any of the other functions of this card and that the Gatos drivers can provide atleast nearly full funtionality to this card under linux. I have also found reports that the ATI drivers may work better for the 3D acceleration than the ati.2 gatos drivers provide? Any thoughts or experience on this subject? Also, is it possible to mix and match the drivers to use ATI's own drivers for 3D Accelation and the Gatos drivers for the TV tuner, tivo functions, remote, etc.? I have also noted that ATI's driver rpm "fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm" is built for glibc 2.2 and their check.sh script reports that I have glibc 2.3, as I understand it this shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering if there is a better rpm to use? or a better solution? During my attempts to decipher the gatos website I have gotten the impression that these drivers are intended to be used with XFree86 version 4.1.0 and work atleast somewhat with 4.2.0, what is this going to mean to me since I am running 4.3.0? The more information I find, the more confused I become on this entire video driver subject. If someone can point me in the right direction here, I'd really appreciate it. What I'm really looking for is any advice on how to get the best results with this card, and a heads up on any problems that I can expect to run into. If there are any good information sources on this that could help clear some of these things up, please let me know where to find them. below are the results of running the check.sh script from the ATI website, if there is any further information that I can provide that will help with this discussion, please let me know what you need and since it's likely that I don't know, how to find that info.

===================================================================== ATI Technologies ===================================================================== Checking which OS you're running... uname reports 'Linux' version '2.4.21-0.13mdk', architecture 'i686'. Object format is 'ELF'. libc version is '6.3'.

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 is installed.

No package available for glibc 2.3.  Try fglrx-glibc22.tgz
Binary package name is 'fglrx-glibc21.tgz'

Thanks in advance for any and all help provided. I know I'm asking for a lot of info here but as I said, now that I have been looking into this for a while, I am no longer even sure where to start. RTFM one too many times I guess.

Dax

I just discovered that there is a gatos rpm on the 9.1 cd's "disk 2", don't know how I missed finding that before. <slap myself upside the head> Anyway, it is supposed to provide tv tuner functions among other things for the all in wonder cards, so I installed it. I have since had to boot back to xp hence now that I'm running mandrake again, everything has been restarted. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I thought there might at least be a watch tv option somewhere on a menu someplace? KDE if your wondering. Anyway, no such luck. Checked to see if MCC would now find my tuner, it didn't before and still doesn't. checked man page for gatos and found that it should have installed;

- xatitv     : GUI "TV in a window" application.
- atitv      : Simple text-mode program.
- gatos-conf : GUI GATOS configuration application.

Funny, I thought that AVview would have been in there somewhere but apparently not. When I tried to run xatitv, it returned

xatitv: relocation error: xatitv: undefined symbol: __7IWindowPcT1PUlii

so I thought maybe I need to configure first, so I tried gatos-conf.

gatos-conf: relocation error: gatos-conf: undefined symbol: __7IWindowPciiT1

A quick google for this undefined symbol error turned up a thread on the cooker list archives stating that the gatos rpm does not work in 9.1. Curious, is it normal to include rpm's on the distribution disks that don't work with the distribution it's included in??? Anybody know what's going on here?

Dax