On Monday 06 Oct 2003 1:06 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> [...]

I was not trying to say you *will* get a dependency problem if you install
packages from source forge. Just that you run a *risk* of a dependency
problem.
If you install only packages compiled with the same libraries as on the
distro, then you can be fairly confident they will work OK.
When you install packages built for a different release or distro, then you
can end up with conflicting dependencies.
Nowdays I only use Mandrake specific RPMs or else compile from source (and use
checkinstall to create an RPM for me)

As for plf and Texstar.
Texstar has some packages which are duplicates of ones in plf.  I am not aware
of any actual incompatibility. They are both built using standard Mandrake
libraries. There has been the odd occasion where plf and Texstar have given
the same package different names which causes a little confusion  (e.g. the
lame mp3 encoder ), but I think now they co-operate better.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net