Ok, I'm running fetchmail --nokeep as a root cron hourly,
and my /root/.fetchmailrc is as follows:

poll mail.voyager.net proto pop3
user XXXX pass XXXX is mark here nokeep
poll mail.voyager.net proto pop3
user XXXX pass XXXX is pauline here nokeep

If I log in as root, and just issue the command fetchmail, it gets and deletes messages.
I copied the rc over to /etc/fetchmailrc, and it still does it. I am at a loss to explain this.
My previous setup, a copy of MDK 6.0 running on nearly the same hardware, didn't do
this. I download all messages for both email accounts to the server, then serve it via IMAP
to several computers in the home.