On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:55, Scott wrote:
> I want to install mandrake, or some version of linux on an old PC that
> has a 500 MB hard drive (currently with windows 98), no network
> connection, and no option in the BIOS to enable booting from the cdrom
> drive. I want to be able to run at least Apache-Mysql-Php and word
> processing.  Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Make the boot floppy disk.  On the first CD is a directory called "images"
and you use the cdrom.img file.  Go into the this directory and use the
following command in linux:

#  dd if=cdrom.img of=/dev/fd0

For further info see the file on the first CD called "install.htm".  It also
explains how to make the boot disk from Windows or DOS.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today