The thing new users need to understand is that Linux is something
like an accident. First, Linus Torvalds (hope I spelled his name
right!) produced the kernel, then put it on the web. Next others saw
the kernel and added other software until it became an OS. The only
thing is that it did not become just one OS, it became perhaps
hundreds of OS's. The answer to the question "Is there any order under
the GPL" is no.

Linux is a work of chaos, chance, and perhaps love. The people who
produced the superb elements we use with our Linux distributions,
whether it be RedHat, Mandrake, Suse, or any of the uncounted others
did so out of love for the challenge, or as a growth exercise, or for
any number of other reasons at which we can only guess (perhaps to
be a thorn in Bill's backside).

The bottom line for me, is that since I got all my hardware to work
correctly with Linux, it has not crashed or frozen even one time in
something over a month. On the other hand, in my Win95 installation, I
experience Explorer crashes at least three (3) times a week. This to
me makes Linux well worth the effort to get it to work with my
hardware.

Which distribution to use is dependent upon the individual users
needs, likes, and desires. For some, perhaps for many, the choice of
any Linux distribution is not the correct answer at all. The learning
curve is indeed steep, and many may lack either the time or the
desire to put in the effort to learn to use Linux effectively. Add to
this the fact that not all hardware is supported, and getting Linux
to work on an individual machine may require some component
replacement.

One last thought occurs to me. A wise old mentor once told me in my
youth that "there aint no free lunch". In terms of OS's, this means
to me that you can pay for your OS with hard cold cash, or with
blood, sweat, and tears, but either way, you will pay.

Now, on the plus side, when you do get Linux to work with your
hardware, you will have learned perhaps more about your 'puter
than you ever wanted to know, and you will enjoy the satisfaction and
pride of your accomplishment, and no small deed will it be.

Well I sure can ramble, so I'll try to get back to your question.
The advantage of Linux is that there is no aparent order, and that
is its disadvantage as well. This aparent lack of order has played a
role in making Linux the superb entity it has become. It also makes
figuring out which distro is for you hard and uncertain.

Ernie