On October 15, 2003 09:22 am, Harv Nelson wrote:
<snip>

> I had the same sort of arguement with CenturyTel.  My solution was to
> buy a small D-Link DI-604 router (about $20).  The router fights the
> battle with their modem, DHCP/DNS servers, etc.  (It even includes its
> own littlde firewall, so now, I get an extra Linux box for FREE. )
>
> I plug all my Linux machines, Windows machines (via another little
> router) and security cameras into the D-Link router.  Reboot everything,
> and BANG! It all works.  No sweat.  No tears.
>
> Harv / AI9NL

You can see my reply to Len and company about what I think of people like
that.

Don't count on that little firewall.  Slammer got through it.  The DLink is a
nice piece of hardware but the firewall leaves much to be desired.  It can
scew up IM or prevent it compeletly.  DCC file transfers on IM or IRC are
next to impossible in most cases.

Do install tripwire at least on your main Linux box and pay attention to it.
:-)

ttfn

John