October 16, 2003 12:19 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> JB,
>
> OK then should be quite simple, and as a newbie you don't want to be
> remaking everything and reinstalling everything including the windblows
> OS's . So basically it's the size of the last partition on the second
> drive that you have to play with, and it's only large enough to do an
> ordinary install of the main Mandrake OS. I find on first install the
> basic install results in 1.6gigs or there abouts, but with use that soon
> becomes 2.4 to 2.6 gigs, don't ask me why I don't know why but if you
> want most things to play with like kde, OO, the media stuff etc etc.
> that's how it becomes.  I think if I were you I would just  keep to /
> base  and /swap partition. So when you rerun the Mandrake install when
> you come to diskdrake you must select the last partition and unmake it
> so it's not defined as anything and then create a / and a /swap
> partition, and alow diskdrake to format and then proceed to install.

Make life easy on yourself. Follow John's "recipe" but instead of making
partitions after deleting that "last partition" on hdb and manually making
partitions you may not understand, use the auto allocate button and then
click done. You won't have to worry about swap size, the auto allocate built
into the installer will set an appropriate size for the hardware it found to
install on, and you should end with a /, /swap and /home partition built into
that 4.03 GB space. If I recall correctly.

Since at least 95% of the people that I've helped install Mandrake Linux for
the first time have reinstalled and claimed more disk space for it, and less
for Windows, it's usually only a temporary measure anyway. (-:

> The next question is how big a swap partition should you make,  and
> unless you have megga memory the general rule is 1 1/2 to 2 times the
> size of you physical memory.
> Remember that the /swap partition is there to act as additional memory
> storage, the system pages out certain things stored in memory and holds
> them in the swap partition untill the memory stick is freed for it's
> return. It's a way of making your memory perform as a bigger stick of
> memory than it really is and in windblows it's called virtual memory but
> instead of it being a defined partition, it's a file on the OS with
> preset physical limits.
>
> So go ahead and create your partitions and install your OS . Good luck.
>
> John
>
> J.B. wrote:

Just a slightly different perspective. When offered choices pick the ones that
make the most sense to you. Worry about the technical details of things such
as file system types, mount points, etc after you've gained some experience
through living with the operating system for a while.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
12:22:25 up 26 days, 1:45, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.04
        "It's a summons."
        "What's a summons?"
        "It means summon's in trouble."
                -- Rocky and Bullwinkle