On Saturday 18 Oct 2003 12:44 pm, ed tharp wrote:
> I just installed 9.2 first time, clean new partitions.
> X starts fine, sound right out of the box
>
> I find this time I have no menus, and no consoles in X.
> in Gnome, I can open a term by selecting run appliacation, but running
> menudrake segfaults with "attribute
> /opt/cxpluginsupport/crossover.xmp""command|
> segmentation fault"
> running most programs from starting at the command line "seems" to work
> (have not tried all the programs)

I also lost my menus after performing an online upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2

If you run
update-menus -d

You should get verbose messages and it will highlight any malformations in the
menu files.

In my case it pointed out to me that /etc/menu/menudrakeentry had a malformed
line that read

?package(menu): needs="fluxbox" icon="applications_section.png"
section="Fluxbox/Styles/" title="" charset="utf8"

The null entry in 'titles' is not permitted. I just inserted some text there
and ran update-menus again and my menus reappeared.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net