On Tuesday 21 Oct 2003 11:03 am, h w blackwell wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Am part of a V.large distrubuted university network which gives me 10Mps
> download speeds (yeah!) but no control over network settings... I want
> to do a fresh install of Mnadrake 9.2 off the uk mirror ftp server.
> Therefore last night I got the network boot floppy image, created a boot
> disk with it and got cracking. All appears to be going well, set up dchp
> with hostname & domain etc, ftp site and bang, hit that brick wall.. The
> error message is error: bad hostname. However checked it by typing
> hostname @ the command prompt of my current, networked mandrake 9.1
> install & it all matches up (I didn't think I'd got it wrong to start
> with.). My current theory, the install program cannot get to the ftp
> site because all web access is through a proxy with a unusual port
> number. My network also doesn't support pasv ftp. Now I know the
> relevant ports and address's, but cannot see how I can configure the
> installer to access the ftp site through the proxy server on the
> relevant port. Does anyone know how, or is this a feature in the
> installer that needs adding at a later date... And what about PASV, is
> this used by the downloader, or can I switch it off? Am I stuffed until
> the ISO images appear or is there hope? I'd much rather ftp, as I don't
> need half the programs on the iso download and would rather save the
> download time...
>
> Cheers
>
> Chewwit

If you can see the Mandrake mirror by typing ftp://blah..blah in the URL line
of a browser, then it isn't going to stop the network install either.

More likely you are simply giving the wrong url.
I think you need to point it to either the /Mandrake directory, or the /base
directory (Not quite sure which)

For example
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/base

or is it
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net