Yes you can :-)

$ tar cf archive.tar -L N directory_to_tar/

N is the archive length in Kbytes. tar writes the first archive file, then prompts you to change volume. You rename archive.tar to archive1.tar and continue.

I agree that you cannot compress at the same time as you split with tar.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
--- Fajar Priyanto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,
Is it possible to create a multivolume tar files with spesific size?
For example I want to tar the whole hda into many 650MB's files for
then burned into CDs.
I notice there's the -M switch, but I can't find the option to specify
the size.

Thanks.
- -- Fajar http://linux.arinet.org

No, you can't do this.  Multivolume switches in Tar are for multiple
*physical" volumes, not multiple volumes on disk.  For this you should be
using Rar for linux.  Download the rpm for your version of MDK from
Vincent Danen's site, rpmhelp.net.  Rar will allow you to create multiple
volumes of specific sizes (whatever size you want) AND also allows you to
attach recovery data so that you can recover a damaged volume if one of
them gets damaged after you burn everything to cd.  Or if something
happens to your drive and one or two volumes get whacked.  Tar can't do
this, and it also cannot compress it's own archives without help from the
zip command.  Rar does, and it's compression is better than either zip or
bzip2.  It also does better than just about any other compressor on
multimedia files, like sound or video.

LX